8.24.2007

flesh/flush update

Since my rant last week, I have been keeping diligent records of all the catch phrases used to excess in my own personal Office Space. To paint a mental picture, I have been sitting in my meetings and training sessions with a scorecard to accurately count the overused lingo. Don’t worry – I’m not obvious - you would need a secret decoder ring to understand my methodology. Yes, exactly the same exercise I did in Junior High when we would keep track of the repetitious words teachers would say. Here is the tally for the past 2 weeks:
flesh – 16
flush – 6
unrecognizable flesh/flush – 4
out of the box – 1
outside the box – 2
vetted (or vet) – 7

I was giving Scout a status report earlier this week on my cutting edge research, and he had never heard "vet/vetted" used as anything other than a veterinarian. Turns out he wasn’t too far off in his confusion.

Per Wikipedia: To vet was originally a horse-racing term, referring to the requirement that a horse be checked for health and soundness by a veterinarian before being allowed to race. Thus, it has taken the general meaning "to check".

Thank goodness for Wikipedia. How did we survive back in the day where you had to remember your question all day and find it in the old fashioned encyclopedia? Or, worse yet, go to the library and search microfiche? Oy, I must be old - that is the second time today I have said "back in the day".

2 comments:

Alisa Hamilton said...

I assume that by flesh you mean "flesh it out." I'm going to hope that's the case. Otherwise, you work in a very strange office.

S Ramsey said...

Glad to see you are keeping yourself occupied during the meetings. hehe